Having some fun in the sun is lovely, but we should never forget that sun rays can severely damage the quality of our skin and even our health. Thus, before going to the beach or also stepping outside, we need to get the best Facial sunscreen possible. Sunscreen should be an integral part of your anti-aging skincare routine! What if you already have wrinkles and dark spots from years of unprotected sun exposure? Research shows that it’s never too late to start protecting your skin (1). People with sun-damaged skin observe a noticeable reduction in signs of aging after applying sunscreen religiously.
Use facial sunscreen even if you spend most of your time indoors. UV rays can penetrate windows and harm your skin also if you are indoors.
Figuring out which sunscreen would be the best for our needs is a bit tricky, though. To make a well-informed decision, we need to:
- Take note of the ingredients — the sunscreen for sensitive skin should contain zinc oxide or titanium dioxide. These will reflect the sun rays and make sure our skin doesn’t absorb any. Furthermore, other active ingredients like avobenzone are useful too; this one absorbs the harmful UVA rays.
- Ensure it’s waterproof — whenever there’s the sun, there’s some fun at the beach as well, so we ought to make sure the sunscreen is waterproof, or at least water-resistant. Otherwise, we won’t be protected at all with it — it will just get rinsed off as soon as we step into the water.
- Check if it protects from both UVA and UVB rays — such sunscreens offer a broad-spectrum coverage, which means they are giving us the best value for our money, as we don’t have to choose which rays to combat.
- See if the SPF is high enough — children or those with fairer skin need all the protection they can get, so a higher SPF is the most suitable for them. However, others should get it too, as sun rays are more harmful now than they were before. Opt for a sunscreen labeled SPF30 or higher, dermatologist recommends.
Down below, we’ll give you a list of the best facial sunscreens on the market right now, including the best baby sunscreen and the best lip sunscreen.
Best Overall: La Roche-PosayAnthelios 50 Tinted Mineral Ultra Fluid Sunscreen
Anthelios 50 mineral is specially formulated with Cell-Ox shield technology, which represents a combination of sun filters that effectively protect from harmful sun rays. Moreover, it contains an antioxidant complex that will keep free radicals at bay, as long as you use it consistently.
Given the fact that sensitive skin is the one that will burn more readily, La Roche-Posay has tested this sunscreen on it as well. It is a good quality Body and best Facial sunscreen. Another great thing about it is that it’s non-comedogenic, as well as fragrance and paraben-free. It also won’t lead to any allergic reactions or stop protecting you if you get wet. It’s water-resistant for up to 40 minutes. Users report that they particularly like the fact that it’s tinted, so even those with pasty skin can go to the beach immediately. However, do know that you will have to apply it carefully. Otherwise, it might leave unsightly lines and look uneven. What’s more, some say that the tint can ruin clothes, so it’s best to leave it to dry before getting dressed.
o Broad-spectrum SPF 50
- Won’t lead to pimples
- Non-allergic and without parabens and fragrances
- Especially good for sensitive skin
- Water resistance that lasts up to 40 minutes
- It’s tinted, so it’s likely it will leave stains on clothing if not appropriately applied and left to dry
Best Facial Sunscreen for Sensitive Skin: Blue Lizard Australian Sunscreen, SPF 30+
The sun in Australia can cause much harm, so it’s no wonder their companies have worked hard on creating a sunscreen that will provide all the protection people may need. Best facial sunscreen and suitable for sensitive skin.
This one, in particular, is powerful, as it has an SPF of 30+, and it offers 80 minutes of water resistance. But that’s not all. This sunscreen is also sweat-resistant, and even its packaging is smart. It employs Smart Bottle technology, which helps you figure out if the UV rays are too harmful to your skin. The bottle will go blue if they are, and stay white if they are not.
Users love this sunscreen, as it’s able to give them enough protection for more than an hour. Moreover, it’s not greasy at all, and it doesn’t require them to use a lot of it like some other sunscreens do. A little bit goes a long way with this product.
The only downside is that it’s too runny for some users, though that isn’t much of a problem since it means the sunscreen can be applied faster.
- Water-resistant for up to 80 minutes
- Doesn’t come off when you sweat
- Contains zinc oxide, so it does reflect sun rays
- Uses a neat technology that tells you if the UV rays are harmful
- Runnier than some other sunscreens on the market
Best Facial Sunscreen for Dry Skin: EltaMD UV Clear Facial Sunscreen Broad-Spectrum SPF 46
EltaMD UV Clear is an oil-free best facial sunscreen, lightweight formula that shields the skin against harmful UV rays. Additionally, it moisturizes for a smooth complexion – perfect for dry skin, or sun protection after a minimally invasive procedure such as microdermabrasion, laser, or chemical peel treatments.
- Moisturizes skin
- People with sensitive skin may experience allergic reactions, breakouts
Best Facial Sunscreen for Sports: EltaMD UV Sports Sunscreen Broad-Spectrum SPF 50
Having fun outside while playing sports means you’ll have to worry about two things: being protected from the sun and applying a sunscreen that doesn’t come off while you’re sweating.
According to users, this EltaMDUV Sports sunscreen is your best choice then. It is water-resistant for 80 minutes, which is good news, as you won’t have to reapply it too often. What’s more, it doesn’t drip as most sunscreens do, so you won’t get it in your eyes if you’re profusely sweating. That also makes it ideal for all sorts of athletes and sports lovers.
The ingredient list is fantastic, as it contains 9.0% transparent zinc oxide and no oil, parabens or fragrances whatsoever. Furthermore, it is a broad-spectrum sunscreen, so that you won’t burn or age prematurely, and it combats free radicals.
Users say that it does what it says it will do without leaving a white cast on the skin. Moreover, it doesn’t sting when applied on the face, and you also don’t need much of it to cover the parts of your body you want to protect. However, its flaw is that it’s quite thick, so make sure you rub it in properly before going out.
- Great for sports and water activities
- Doesn’t drip due to sweat
- High SPF 50
- Can be applied to wet or dry skin
- 80 minutes of water resistance
- Some users report that it broke them out and that it’s greasy
- A few other users claim it gave them a rash
Best Facial Sunscreen for Babies: Blue Lizard Baby Sunscreen, SPF 30+
Although we can sometimes use regular sunscreens on our children, having one that’s specially designed for them is more reassuring.
Blue Lizard Baby SPF 30+ sunscreen offers gentle mineral protection to babies and children, and it also stays water-resistant for 40 minutes. It doesn’t contain parabens or fragrances, but it does have zinc oxide, a mineral that will adequately protect the skin of your children against harmful sun rays.
With 10% zinc oxide and 5% titanium dioxide, this sunscreen pleases both the kids and the parents. It’s easy to rub in, which is excellent news for those who have mischievous kids who lack patience. Also, they like the fact that it’s visible when they apply it, as that means they can check if they’ve missed a spot or two.
Still, it’s very thick, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but it could mean it would clog the pores unless you bathe the child thoroughly.
- Doesn’t contain harmful chemicals
- High SPF 30+
- Recommended by pediatricians
- Won’t irritate the skin
- Water-resistant for up to 40 minutes
- Very thick, so that it might clog pores
- It is greasy, which might be a problem for some users, as it means it could potentially lead to pimples and breakouts
Best Lip Sunscreen: Vanicream Lip Protectant and Sunscreen, SPF 30
Finally, when it comes to sun protection, we must never forget about our lips. The skin on them is thin, so it’s likely they will get chapped and burned when not protected.
Luckily, the Vanicream Lip Protectant/Sunscreen with an SPF of 30 seems to be a good option. It offers broad-spectrum protection, and it also helps keep the lips in top-notch condition.
When applied daily or at least whenever you’re in the sun, it will keep the lips luscious and nourished. It’s also water-resistant for 80 minutes.
This protectant is also formulated for sensitive skin. Thus, it doesn’t contain harmful chemicals, like dyes, or any flavors. Furthermore, there’s no fragrance, parabens, preservatives or formaldehyde and lanolin in it.
The users swear by it, and most of them say that it has effectively protected their lips in the sun. However, one flaw is that it seems to expire rather quickly, and it’s greasy until it dries. Also, some say that, although it doesn’t have a fragrance, it has a strange scent that bothers them a bit.
- Great for lips and overall protection
- No harmful chemicals in it
- It’s water-resistant for up to 80 minutes
- High SPF 30
- Especially suitable for those with sensitive skin
- Has a strange non-fragranced scent
- Might expire fast
- Greasy so that it won’t set under any makeup
- When applied too heavily, it can leave a white cast